Friday, February 1, 2013

Friday Night Leftovers

It's been a big week. As usual so glad it's Friday at last:)


After an excruciatingly long wait from the pediatrician, it was determined based on the Vanderbilt Surveys that Puck has ADHD.  He began taking medication today, Aderall.   I didn't come to this decision lightly.  It's been on my mind for a while.  Every day he has slipped further and further behind and struggled more and more.  Today, without the teacher even knowing for 1/2 the day, she wrote him a note to bring home about what a fantastic day he was having.  Then after we sent her an email to let her know, she emailed at the end of the day saying it was the best day he had ever had.  She sent home samples of the work he did today, saying it was his best ever and some of the best in the class.  Could it be?  Day 1 of meds and it helped that much?  I certainly hope so.

This evening I introduced Puck to The Karate Kid (the original). He loved it! It's always been a favorite of mine. The best part was that 10 minutes in he spotted Elizabeth Shue and said, "Hey, that's the girl from Back to the Future!" I was so proud. Another favorite of mine. We watched it together for the first time that night we spent in the hospital when he broke his leg. He remembered Elizabeth Shue even though he was on morphine! I must be doing something right if he is developing an appreciation for 80's movies!

I saw the movie Les Mis this week. It was UNBELIEVABLE! Everyone must see it. I've always been a fan. I didn't expect to be blown away but I was. It exceeded all my expectations:). I miss music being a part of my life like it was in high school. Band, guard, performing...

I love Netflix. I'm watching Clue right now. Yes, I'm a sucker for 80's movies;).


4 comments:

*Jess* said...

I felt like you did, too, about medicine. Last ditch effort. Honestly, with all of his autism stuff, his ADHD wasn't really a concern for years. But then Jayce got diagnosed with Tourette's and I heard him tell the doctor how uncomfortable his body feels all the time. That did it. We tried 1 mg of Intuniv.

We saw such a difference in hyperactivity, his tics, his impulsiveness. But his inattention and focus stood out now. So we added 5 mg of adderall. Nothing happened. We upped it to 10 mg. Finally, some symptom relief! But it made his tics worse.

We just started on Vyvanse, which is chemically similar to Adderall. And wow... just one day made a huge difference! He's been on it a week and he's in love. He came home from school and said, "I love my new medicine!"

Sometimes medicine does work. Sometimes it is necessary.

Danifred said...

I hope the medicine route works out well for you guys. Fingers crossed :)

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

I'm hoping this sets him on a different track too...tough decision, but you did what you thought was best.

Kudos on the 80s movies...wonder when the Crazies will let me do that!

Rebecca said...

You do what you gotta do...you're the parent...you know your kid.

80s movies rock! We rang in the new year with Goonies!