Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tutoring?

Puck is beginning to have trouble in school and possibly falling behind.  I don't think I mentioned it previously because I hate the stigma that comes with the ADD and ADHe are going through the evaluation process for ADHD as there seems to indicate that could be part of the problem.  I really don't want to "medicate" and child that doesn't need it but honestly, I'm open to a lot more options than I was a few years ago.  I just sent our paperwork back to the pediatrician so who knows how long it will take to hear something.

I've been wondering if a tutoring center might be a good option.  I called Ku.mon today and got some information about their program and it sounds really good.  I know that a lot of you out there in blog land are teachers or former teachers.  Any advice here?  It's twice a week and there is a lot of homework but since he won't be able to play soccer this Spring, he's going to have plenty of time...

The teacher and I are becoming well acquainted.  She sent home a letter that said only a few of the students needed to have parent-teacher conferences.  Of course, my kid is one.  Why can't it just be freaking easy once in a while?

Sigh....





2 comments:

*Jess* said...

I feel the same way about meds, but when Jayce's autism, ADHD, and Tourette's started interfering so much with his life, we had to do something. We are currently trying a combo of adderall and intuniv. I see pros and cons to the meds.

krayzid0rk said...

late comment since I can't comment from my phone and have to star it for later.

Our 10 year old as ADD. His "mom" has it so we knew it was probably a very true diagnosis. We have the same issues with school. He is brilliant in Math but struggles with writing because it doesn't interest him. He would be a 4.0 student I'm sure if his "mom" would release the psycho controlling side and get him the help that everyone is begging for him. We have had to develop close relationships with his last 3 teachers. Thankfully they will be your biggest advocate. While at school, that teacher is almost like their other parent. We have had to work together to come up with ideas to help him. Some of the ones for us have been that he gets 5 minutes of computer time at school for each paragraph he completes for his writing assignments. We tried a candy bar but it didn't seem to interest him. It's been an experiment of trying to find what works, what doesn't, what interest him, what doesn't. Just know that there are good teachers out there and the will fight for your kiddo to be the best they can be.

For us we were told that tutoring wouldn't help. That is one on one time which wouldn't help him because his problem is focusing and getting his brain to relate to what he's reading or writing. May be different for you.

For us it was finding different ways to engage him, creating a different story line, relating the assignment to something in his life etc so he felt like he connected with it.

I don't know if this made any sense at all but I hope it did.

I still can't believe how big those boys are getting, talk about handsome little men!