Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Birth

A co-worker and friend is in the hospital in labor awaiting the arrival of her first born right now as I type this. I'm so excited for her.

It got me thinking and remembering what it was like when my kids were born. I remember the very first time I saw my first born, Puck. After induction at 7 days past my due date and 14 hours of labor that ended with c-section, I can still see his face in my memory like it was yesterday. A rush of emotion like no other. I remember thinking, "That came out of me! He's so huge!" Puck weighed in at a healthy 9lbs, 7oz. He looked like a baby sumo! I wasn't prepared for the roller coaster of emotions that came in the days and weeks after his birth and much of that time is a blur. But I remember that pudgy little face, the red skin, that cry...

I remember my 2nd, Muffin, came 2 years and 4 months later via scheduled c-section. It was an easy and calm entrance into the world. I remember his first cry more than anything and that he seemed so tiny compared to Puck. He actually spent 2 less weeks in utero than his brother which probably accounted for his smaller size.

What a miracle it is. Oh how I wish I could do it one more time!

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

I love birth stories :) I wish your friend the best!