Friday, December 28, 2012

Broken Leg

At noon today, 20 minutes into the Les Miserables movie with my mother in law I got an urgent text from my husband. I dashed from the theatre to call him and my husbands words terrified me. Puck fell off his new electric scooter and broke his leg. He actually broke it in 2 places. The tibia and fibula both broken. I raced to the hospital. Where he had already had X-rays and been given morphine for pain. Due to the severity of the break He had to be transferred from the satellite ER to the main hospital by ambulance. Every step along the way taking 10 times longer than it needed to take, or at least it seemed like that. Around 6pm he was finally taken to the OR where they set the bones and put on a cast from his thigh to his toes. He will be in a cast for 8 weeks. 8 weeks of nothing fun for my little man who never stops moving.

His Poppy & Mac ordered him pizza to his hospital room and we watched Brave and The Smurfs. It's so hard to see your child's fear and not be able to take it away. He is sleeping comfortably now but I'm here in his hospital room wide awake. I can't stop thinking about all the little things that are now going to be so hard for him. He will most likely miss the whole season of Spring soccer. I had just signed him up for winter swim this morning. How is he supposed to get on and off the school bus or get through the lunch line?

His other grandma, Mimi took Muffin all day and for a sleepover at her house. He was so concerned about his big brother saying, "I hope you feel better soon." and asking repeatedly if the doctors fixed Pucks bones yet.

I'm thankful it's nothing worse. I'm thankful that his leg will heal. I'm so bummed for my baby.

2 comments:

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Clearly, I'm catching up on my reading. I swear that I'm not a stalker. This just sucks :(

Tezzie said...

Oh my goodness!!! How scary...and poor Puck! 8 weeks is a very long time in a young boy's life. Sending you strength to get through this. *hugs*