Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Adoption...Hmmm....

Have you ever been called to do something?   Has an idea or a feeling ever crept up into your heart and your mind and grabbed on really tight?

I don't know exactly where it came from but I feel like I've been called to consider adoption.  I know people that have adopted for various reasons.  I have 2 biological children so I don't "need" to adopt to have my family.  I don't need to adopt a child for me, a child needs us to adopt her.  Is it possible that there is some little girl out there waiting for a home in China, or Kazakhstan, or Bulgaria?  I've been reading blogs, and searching the internet trying to soak up every bit of information I can.  There are literally thousands of children abandoned every year because their parents can't take care of them or because they have some kind of special need (minor to severe), or sometimes even just because that baby is a girl.  They don't live in foster care, they live in orphanages....

Unfortunately, adopting a child internationally is extremely expensive.  We're talking $15,000 to $30,000+ and typically travel is required to the county 1 - 3 times and in some instances require very long stays.  It can also take a really long time.   We would have to fundraise, a lot.  Apply for a grant and maybe consider a child with minor or correctable special needs.  There are many children with cleft lips/palates that are easily corrected here in the US.

I feel like I've been called to do this.  I think my husband would consider this as well but getting over the financial hurdles seems bleak at best.

Hmmm.... feeling powerless to help.



1 comment:

L. Merical said...

Wow, what a brave thing to consider! I know you have always wanted a sweet baby girl =)

I just read about adoption laws changing internationally (specifically Russia). If Hubs is on board, start looking for adoption lawyers. Happy baby hunting!