Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Working-Mom Morning Routine

Let's just say, it sucks. Gone are the days of rising out of bed and turning on the lights and your favorite funny radio show while you shower, primp, and select clothing for the day.

No.

Now my alarm goes off at 6:00am and I really need to set it earlier but I just can't bare to do so. Getting up earlier then 6:00 am should be illegal. This morning I literally whimpered, "Noooo!" when I heard that annoyingly familiar beep, beep, beep. Of course I hit the snooze button because I'm weak and lame like that. I know my husband hates it but it's truly an uncontrollable response. I stumble out of bed in the dark so as not to wake him even more or wake the boys who faithfully rise like roosters. I make it to the bathroom and shower (a miracle in itself) and realize I didn't set my clothes out the night before. This is something I hate to do. I prefer to be fashionably spontaneous, another trait that my hubs can't stand. So as quiet as I try to be while I take 3 or 4 trips in and out of the bathroom and into my closet and back again, I'm startled when I see a pair of little eyes spying on me. It was Muffin. So if he is awake his brother isn't far behind. Before I'm even fully clothed both boys, now 5 & 7 are up and ready to play. I try to persuade them to lay quietly in one of their rooms but I can hear them laughing all the way down the hallway. I know Hubs couldn't possibly be sleeping but he pretends, wishful thinking I suppose.

Then I head downstairs for a travel cup of coffee and go but they need my help to get their favorite morning appetizer, yogurt and cheerios, of course. I quickly get what they need and fulfill all their requests but I want to be there to take care of them but I have to rush out. I leave the house feeling like a bad mom and generally unorganized and slovenly to be quite honest.
I wonder what I should wear tomorrow...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

The Captain's Wife said...

I hate, HATE the morning routine! K wakes up most days while I am in the shower or just getting out. I let her tag along while I get ready...we brush our teeth together, do ur make up (she has one of my spare blush brushes), and then when it is time for me to go she climbs in bed with daddy to watch a cartoon while he tries to open his eyes. But that's when it starts...the guilt. Please don't go Mommy. Please stay with me! I don't want you to go yet! Thank goodness I have less than 2 weeks before my maternity leave, she and I need some morning snuggle time, but I know it will make it all the more difficult when I go back to work in a couple of months....

SmartBear said...

The morning routine is always a pain and I totally agree with the laying out your clothes thing? I know I SHOULD do it...but I can't bring myself to! Music helps. We get our moves like Jagger while everyone is running around and we stay happy...as long as momma has her coffee.
Hang in there.
Best,
Tina

Diana said...

Ah, you must be talking about Elliot in the Morning- I used to listen everyday before and on my way to work. Now I am either sleeping (after an early morning feeding) or watching the Today show as my daughter sleeps next to me in bed. My morning routine has definitely changed, and I'm not even back to work yet.

BF said...

I don't have kids, but can still relate to some of these things. The clothing routine, as I should get it all planned out the night before, because I don't allot the extra 20 minutes in my morning routine to find anything to wear. When the boyfriend is still sleeping when I get up, it's hard to tip toe around in the morning as I have no control over myself at that hour. I can only imagine how much harder this routine gets when you involve kids. Sounds like you're doing a good job though!

Tezzie said...

Hey! Been thinking about you...hope you're doing ok and that the life of a working mom isn't leaving you too exhausted. Hang in there, my friend, and hope you are able to enjoy some of the summer fun with your sweet boys <3