Monday, July 18, 2011

A Place I Love

I told a friend the other day that I was going to the beach for a month.  Their response was, "Doesn't that get old?"  An honest question.  I suppose many people would think that would be a long time to be in one place.  Maybe they weren't a beach person but everyone has that one special place that make them feel whole.

The reason I want to go to this place is because when I am there I feel like myself.  When I am there I don't have to answer to anyone but my kids and my soul is quiet and content.  Life is simple.  I contend that it would be the same in the mountains or other vacation destination.  It's all about stepping outside your normal life and trying on different surroundings as if it were a new wardrobe.  Maybe it's running away from everything that causes you discontent.  Whatever the reason for escape, I find my peace at the beach.  

I'm going to get up every morning and walk the dog, sip coffee and try to keep my crazy boys quiet in the little one bedroom beach condo.  I'm going to take things slowly and enjoy every minute of everyday.  I'm going to pretend that I never have to come home.  I'm going to walk in the sand and sun myself each day and perhaps enjoy a few afternoon cold ones.  I'm going to read a great book and look for shells with my sons.  I'm not going to complain about my kids waking me up early because I get to spend all day with them instead of going to work.  I'm going to leave all my cares behind.

I'm going to the beach:)

4 comments:

Clairity said...

And I can so totally relate. I don't think a place could get old if it's a place you love and long to be at. I hope you have a blast savoring this time :)

Danifred said...

I totally get this. I don't think that a place that you love can ever get old. EVER!

Crystal said...

That sounds amazing. I would love to go to the beach.

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Someone asked me the other day where I felt "at home." I immediately said the beach...nowhere else envelops me in the feeling of "home" more than that.

Have you ever read Gift From the Sea? It's my favorite book and makes me feel like the beach is right around the corner.

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Sea-Anne-Morrow-Lindbergh/dp/0679406832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311430616&sr=8-1