Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Public Bathroom Dilemma

Lately, when out with Puck in public places an interesting issue has cropped up now that  he is 6, going on 7.  Up until now, I've never given much thought to taking him with me into the ladies room to use the facilities or to wait for me.  However, he's not a toddler anymore and people are starting to notice...

At swim lessons on Sundays he likes to take a shower in the locker room after class so he can use the shampoo I bought him in the tiny travel bottle.  Well, now I realize there are little girls everywhere...sans clothing.... This is a problem.  I can see both sides of the issue.  If I had a daughter I wouldn't want little boys running around the locker room staring at her while she changes out of her bathing suit and I don't want him to see them or be seen either.  Last week we bolted from the locker room with a towel over his eyes when I saw a nude 7 or 8 year old girl walking around.  Hello, Does anyone remember what modesty is?

Anyway, I realize it was the Ladies locker room and ladies are therefore given to walking around in the nude if they so choose.  What is a mom of a boy supposed to do?  There is a sign on the door that says, "No boys over the age of 4 allowed in the Ladies Room".  I can't send him into the Mens locker room alone!  Who only knows what sort of pervs are lurking there!?!  There are 2 "Family Rooms" available but when 50 people are finishing swim lessons at the same time you can see how this is not an option.  Even though the intent of these rooms is to be family friendly and co-ed people can lock the door so it's just them in there, so thanks for nothing.  I refuse to stand there with my freezing cold little boy for 30 minutes to wait our turn for the "Family Room" when there are 15 perfectly good showers available in the LADIES locker room.

Now I've noticed it with women's rooms everywhere.  Even at the movies last night a lady seemed to notice I had brought him in with me.  He's only in Kindergarten people, I can't leave him standing out in the lobby alone!  Sigh...

9 comments:

Jenny said...

I completely agree with you. Being a boy mom myself, I know this is in store for me in the future as well. You would think that other moms would understand, he definitely is too young to be going into a bathroom by himself.

Heather (One Take On Life) said...

What choice do you have, if you are the one taking him to swim? I don't blame you for not wanting to wait for the co ed room.

I guess what I would do would be to take him in the ladies locker room and skip the shower, let him shower at home with the travel size bottle.

Or find a new place to take swim lessons, we go to a swim school where the showers are by the pools (swimsuits are left on to shower) and there are plenty of changing rooms for families.

As far as public restrooms, of course it is still OK to bring them in there. I mean there are doors for pete's sake. Glare back at those people, clearly they've never had boys:)

krayzid0rk said...

Sometimes the mens locker rooms have little curtained areas where he could change and no pervy men can be scoping him out.

This thought overcomes me everytime we go to the YMCA. I'll have to worry about it someday as well if Jake isn't with us.

Also I told Nathan who just turned 8 that when he uses a public bathroom that if anyone tries to talk to him or touch him he is to scream bloody freaking murder and I'll be in there immediately. maybe dad can scope out the men's locker room and show him where would be alright to change and is close enough for you to have immediate access if needed? It really sucks that there are so many sickos out there that we have to resort to this as parents.

Nicole said...

I see absolutely no problem with taking him in a ladies restroom because there are doors - it would be different if he were a girl about that age and being taken into the men's room, where there are rarely stalls.

The locker room issue is tricky! I like Heather's idea of just skipping the shower. I will often just change the kids on the pool deck - we find a quiet corner and I hold a towel around them while they pull their suit off and put their underwear and clothes back on. I totally understand women walking around nude in the locker room at the gym with other women who are generally over 18. In a public pool locker room where there are kids? Modesty should reign supreme.

Clairity (Hip to be Mom) said...

I can so relate. I went through this same exact situation with my son when he was little. When the glares got so bad, I HAD to send him to the men's room by himself - told him to always lock the bathroom door, not to dally, have a quick shower and come back out, I'll be waiting outside. Eventually both he and I got used to the idea and he grew older and bigger (LOL) and I didn't have to worry as much. Good luck :)

Danifred said...

As you know, I can't relate. But, I do know that Bee is really uncomfortable taking Tot in men's restrooms these days. But, then again, she has a habit of pointing out everyone's body parts.

daisybv2 said...

I dont see anything wrong with him going in the ladies room at all. I dont know why people would even see it as a problem.

My hubby still has to take my 6 year old in the restroom with him if he is alone with the kids. People are rude!

Marie said...

I would bring him in the locker room w/me in your place. THere is no way I'd send a young boy into the men's locker room alone. No way, no how! As long as you're being respectful of the women and girls, I don't there's a problem with it.

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

That's hard...I don't know what I'll do when we get to this point. The Crazies are still young enough to just stare at the old ladies' huge sagging breasts with unadulterated awe.