Thursday, March 3, 2011

Marvelous Muffin

Muffin had a great day.  It was therapy day!  I wish I could be the one that could take him but I'm so fortunate that I have an amazing mother-in-law that is as committed to helping Muffin as I am.  It was his first day in therapy (Speech and OT) with his new weighted vest.  They said they could really see a difference already:)

I was really bummed out last night after he went to bed.  We had been reading "Monkeys Jumping On the Bed".  Every page is basically the same...one fell off and bumped his head.  Every other page shows a monkey crying.  Every page I would ask Muffin, "Why is the monkey crying?"  Even after the 5th page he still couldn't tell me WHY the monkey was crying.  He would just say, "I don't know."  He is 4 years old and should be able to figure out from the story why this monkey is crying...

I tucked him in and left the room feeling like he was getting worse.  I felt so sad.  After discussing the problem of "Why" questions with the therapists today we now have a plan of action.  For the time being we will not be asking Muffin any "Why" or other Wh questions.  Instead of saying, "What did you do at school today?" We are supposed to say, "I bet you had a great day at school today!  I bet you went to the playground!"  The hope is that he will correct me if I guess wrong, "No, I went to music." (for example)
I tried some of the new techniques while Muffin and I were watching Wall-e tonight and he talked to me more than ever before.

It was really a special moment for me.  Now I am feeling hope once again that this kid can turn it around...

6 comments:

krayzid0rk said...

That's good that they can give you other ways to get responses out of him.

I give you props on being such a great mom and fighting so hard for your baby. I see so many people now days who just don't try and it makes me so frustrated.

I hope you start getting some answers! I love that you found a weighted vest that appeals to the little guy and that it helps!

*Jess* said...

Jayce is 5.5 and just now getting the "why" stuff about emotions... muffin will get there!

Rebecca said...

Isn't it so nice to learn things that actually work??? This is great...

Nicole said...

I think not understanding the why of something may also be due to his age, as I have noticed that C.ooper sometimes has trouble grasping the same concept. Either way, adopting a new approach sounds like a great idea and way to go for figuring that out!

SmartBear said...

I know I say this a lot lady but...you are AHHHMAZING! What an awesome Momma! And just so you know...I encourage a limit of "why" questions with most kiddos. It promotes a lot of anxiety when I think we want them to think and explore. You could also try just describing in detail what you see. "that monkey is sad. His face is frowning like this and he is crying". It may prompt him to make another observation such as " he fell off the bed" or "monkey needs a treat".
I am so glad you are his momma...keep up the good work. And I am glad you found a weighted vest he liked!
Best,
Tina

Marie said...

YAY! It's all baby steps but celebrate every single one of them. :)