Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Calming Weight {Weighted Vest} - SPD

I recently went online in search of a weighted vest for Muffin.  His OT has been trying to get him to wear one during his sessions but he always refuses to wear it.  Most of the ones I found online were either super institutional looking and/or extremely expensive.

I ended up at Etsy because that's where I always end up when I'm looking for something really unique.  I found Calming Weight.  You can visit her full website at http://calmingweight.com/.  She handcrafts all kinds of weighted items for children with Sensory Processing Disorder and/or Autism Spectrum Disorders and more.  I sent her a message and said, "I know this is a long shot but do you have Wall-e fabric?"  She sent me a message back almost immediately that she did indeed have Wall-e and sent we a photo of the fabric!  There are tons of fabrics, by the way.  If she has Wall-e, she must have almost everything.  I was so excited and place an order right away.  I thought the price was very fair at just under $60.00!

I showed it to Muffin for the first time tonight.  His eyes lit up when he saw it.  I knew I had found a winner.  He wanted to sleep in it.  {Which of course is not allowed} but I assured him he could wear it again tomorrow.

The vest is made with great skill, truly a beautiful and well made product.  There are plenty of removable weights and they slip discreetly inside secret pockets where Muffin can't get to them.  It is our plan for Muffin to wear his vest during Therapy and at times during the school day that the OT deems appropriate.

Please consult your child's therapist before using a weighted vest.  I will be asking the OT tomorrow when he should wear his vest, how much weight is appropriate and for how long he can wear it.

If you have been looking for a special product like this please consider Calming Weight.  You should also know that I was not paid or compensated for this review.  I purchased a vest because it was exactly what I was looking for and I'm sharing it with all of you because I love it and know there are lots of little ones out there like Muffin that could benefit.

5 comments:

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

I had students who used these and they benefited.

Sorry I have been out of the loop on commenting lately. Hormones are starting to errupt here...going to slow down for the next two days and see if I can get things under control.

*Jess* said...

we used a pressure vest for Jayce (also called a compression vest) with good results!

Danifred said...

So awesome you found something he loves! I've seen them work wonders for kids :)

Rebecca said...

This is so great that you were able to find this...even better that he's willing to wear it!

Have you ever read anything by Temple Grandin? I read a book written by her a while ago and I loved it...very interesting and insightful.

Nicole said...

That is awesome and I am so glad that you found it! I hope Muffin continues to be excited by the vest and that it continues to help!