Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Anonymity

In this world where Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, and countless other outlets for social media come to the forefront of communication, no one is anonymous.

It began innocently enough, Facebook.  Seemed like a cool idea.  I had already tried MySpace but didn't really "get" it.  Facebook seemed more suited to my age...no HTML knowledge required and instantly find every last friend and foe from high school, college, and the office.

I've embraced all of these social media outlets, tweeting, facebooking and even checking in on Foursquare (something that a few months ago I regarded as a huge invasion of privacy - but here I am telling everyone that I'm at Yoga or the grocery store.)  Is it just me or does that sound really dangerous?  "Yes creepy people I am here at Target, come and get me!"  I've posted 100's of photos on FB that 99% of my "friends" could probably care less about and I tweet regularly with people I've never met. 

Which brings me to blogging.  I blog to share, yes.  I blog to vent, yes.  Who are all these people reading my words?  Are their intentions good?  Are there people that know me in real life who are reading without letting me know?  Why do so many people read and not comment or let me know they are "here"?  It's beginning to creep me out a bit.

The longer I blog, facebook, and tweet, the more uneasy I become about it.  I have become acutely aware of my private I mean unwittingly public identity. Have you Googled yourself lately?  Don't get me started.  If I could be on the "No-Google List" (you know, like the Do Not Call List) I would sign up in a minute.

I began blogging as a way to write my personal hopes, fears, dreams, misery, and joy.  A sort of therapy journal.  I no longer feel as though I can use this blog as a personal space for self expression.  I love sharing photos and talking about my experiences as a mom, but this is not enough for my journey through life, love, and the pursuit of happiness.   When I'm sad I need to write about it, when I'm happy I need to write about it.  In either case I need a PRIVATE place to take care of me.  

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

So what's this mean? Are you quitting the blog? I'd be sad. even though I don't "know" you, I like your posts. You were one of my first followers when I started.
I know what you mean about people reading what I have to say. But...I don't care who reads unless I know them for real and they don't tell me they are reading. That is weird.

Michele said...

Are you changing your blog to private? I really enjoy reading your blog but understand the privacy issue.

Danifred said...

I've gone through exactly what you are experiencing. Thankfully, my name is so common, I'm almost impossible to find. Sometimes I worry about my privacy, but I also try to take as many precautions as possible by hiding our names/ location/ etc.
If you decide to go private, just make sure to take me with you :)

krayzid0rk said...

I've googled myself and thankfully not much to find.

Your site seems to be pretty private. I don't know much about you name wise along with your kiddos. I just know of your struggles with your son.

It may be personal, but its a comfort for people who are facing similar situations, knowing that they aren't alone and that there is still hope out there.

Maybe the things you feel are too personal to be shared with the public could be in another blog?

Who knows, I hope you find what you are seeking, and if you disappear I hope everything works out in the end for your family :)

purseblogger said...

I hope you aren't thinking of quitting the blog but I understand if you do. I have really enjoyed getting to know you lately over twitter. While you do need to be cautious, I also think it can be really fun to get to know people you'd otherwise never get the chance to meet. But of course, I realize we always need to be careful. xoxo

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

That Foursquare stuff freaks me out...no easier way for a stalker to be successful. I always think about this when former student post where they are. It's scary!

I get the need for anonymity, but I also need contact...it's a difficult balance.

undomestic chica said...

I've gotten really weird about my public life since I had kids. Once the Bambinos were born, I felt weird knowing people had the potential to know all about them so I started a private blog. I invited my readers to read it, but at least I know which ones are reading it. I got REALLY weird about the Bambinos pictures being on facebook. I don't like thinking that someone could steal their identity and we might not find out for 18 years! It's funny how I don't feel the need to protect myself that much but I do them.

Kristiina said...

I enjoy reading your blog, and would miss your posts. But you need to do whatever you feel is best for you and your family.