Monday, March 28, 2011

105 Degree Fever = A Trip to the ER

Arriving at the ER
Day 8 and Muffin still has a fever.  He started to wilt again yesterday when out to lunch at Mickey D's with Puck and Grammie.  By 7:30 he was asleep on the couch and when I rechecked his fever the thermometer read 105.3.  I think I didn't really believe it.  Earlier in the day he had already reached 104.3 and a luke warm bath brought it back down to a more comfortable level along with the fever reducing medication.  I grabbed him up and out the door I went to the ER.  Hubs stayed behind with Puck.

Getting IV Antibiotics
He was seen right away and given Tylenol.  I was so glad when the doctor finally came in to check him.  By now the fever was down to a cool 103!  Everyone kept remarking on how HOT he felt.  The doctor said he had a raging bi-lateral ear infection and also ordered a chest X-Ray.  The worst part was having the IV put in.  I've never heard him vocalize so clearly as he protested to the nurses,  "You're hurting me!"  He was such a little trooper.  I'm still amazed he stood still for the X-Rays...took a little coxing on my part.  They immediately started him on IV antibiotics.  I was so thankful for the clicking of that little machine that was pumping in the medicine.  After 2 previous trips to the doctors office this week it was about time!
His sweet little hand. 

The chest X-Ray revealed Pneumonia as well.  All this stuff his little body is fighting and he's still go-go-go...

I really hope the 2 antibiotics he's on now nip these infections quickly.

19 comments:

Semi-Slacker Mom said...

Poor baby! Poor momma! Isn't it awful when they are so sick?

Angie said...

Poor kiddo. Hope he is back to 100% soon. ((hugs))

Tezzie said...

Awww...poor Muffin! Truly hope that the antibiotics do the trick; what alot of stuff for such a little body to have to deal with! No wonder he had such a high fever...but isn't it just amazing that they still have energy to be active and play?! (albeit in spurts). Be well, my friend!

The Captain's Wife said...

that 1st picture may be the saddest picture of a child I have ever seen. He looks so beat down.
I am glad the tests proved something was wrong and now he can hopefully begin to mend.

Chrystal said...

So scary. Poor little guy. I pray he feels better soon!

purseblogger said...

Ohh no. Poor little man. It is so miserable when our kids are sick. I pray he's feeling better soon!

Katie said...

I hope your little dude is okay

SmartBear said...

This sounds so scary...sending you a virtual hug. Hope all is better soon!
Best,
Tina

*Jess* said...

poor little guy!! I hope he recovers quickly!

fiddlehead said...

ah little mister. That is just awful. Hoping he is responding to those antibiotics and back to little boy antics! Take care to you too.

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

oh no. Poor guy. I hope he is doing better. Henry had a fever last night too. Not so much today...wondering if it is going to turn into anything else. ugh. We hvae been helahty all winter so far...and I told the doc that at Sydney's two month appointment on Friday...there was obviously no wood in the room to knock on.

Michele said...

Poor guy! I hope he feels better.

krayzid0rk said...

What a trooper! So glad they caught it! He's still so cute even with his sad little sick face. Hope he peps up soon! Give him lotsa lovin :)

Nicole said...

Poor, poor babe! I am so glad he is being treated and is on the mend - that first picture just breaks my heart!

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

Geez! Pneumonia too??? The red cheeks get me every time. He's a trouper though...sad little red cheeked face ;(

Shell said...

Oh, he looks so pitiful! Sending prayers!

Faith said...

Bless his heart! How scary!! Hope he recovers quickly.

Danifred said...

How scary for both of you! I'm so glad he was able to get the treatment that he needed and I hope that he is on the mend. Hugs to your sweet boy!

daisybv2 said...

Oh your poor thing... and poor mommy... I would have freaked if I saw my kids fever that high I have had one like that before but my kids has only been 104 or so...

So glad you kiddo is on his way to feeling better..