Monday, March 21, 2011

104 Degree Fever

Muffin had a fever of 104.3.  It started earlier yesterday with a fever hovering around 100.  I only noticed because I hugged him and felt how hot he was.  He was acting completely normal so I didn't worry too much about it. He always acts normal.  It takes a lot to bring this kid down.  He doesn't even complain when he has an ear infection.

By 10:00 pm the fever has reached 104.3 and I was pretty close to taking him to the ER.  If the Motrin ddidn't bring the fever down a little bit, I would really have started to panic.  The Motrin did it's thing  bringing his hot little body back down to a comfortable 100.3.  The on-call doctor put my mind at ease, at least for the time being.  I let him sleep.

Sitting by his bed watching him shiver, trying to help bring the fever under control with cold cloths on his forehead I was counting my blessings at how healthy he really is.  I can't even remember the last time he had a high fever, it's been years.

This is the worst part about being a mom...when your babies are sick.

The fever came back after 4 hours and I didn't have any tylenol to give him.  I was so happy when 4:00 am finally arrived so I could give him another dose of Motrin.

This mornings thunder storm sent Puck into a panic so he ended up in my bed.  I'm exhausted.  Muffin came bouncing in at 7:30 am, fever free, acting as if nothing had happened.  He's got 2 more hours before the Motrin wears off.  We'll be seeing the Ped this afternoon.

I'm ready for a nap.

8 comments:

Mama Jules said...

I hope he's better soon. My son rarely gets sick, too. Except for today. We'll be visiting the pediatrician, too.

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Yikes! I hate high fevers and the lathargic behaviors they bring on. It is so hard to see our energetic kids so under the weather. Hang in there mama - and wash your hands good so you don't get it!

Danifred said...

I am always amazing at how quickly kids can bounce back from being sick. I hope he's feeling better soon!

Tezzie said...

Aww...poor little guy! Hope he feels better soon! (was at the doctor's with my Boy today, as well...he's had a really bad, hacking cough that has brought on vomiting and a little bit of blood coming from his nose! He's on meds now, but other than having been a little more tired than usual, you'd hardly know he was sick).

Hope Mama gets a good night's sleep...take care of yourself!

Shell said...

Hope he is feeling better soon! My Bear had 104.5 a few weeks ago and I was totally freaked out.

SmartBear said...

Sending you a virtual mom hug...my goodness girl...you are amazing. I hope your tot feels better soon and you get some rest!
Best,
Tina

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

I'm so behind!!! Sorry that he's sick and it is the worst when all you can do is monitor...seems so useless in this age of "fix everything right now."

Those thunderstorms were kind of awesome, right???

Joey @ Big Teeth and Clouds said...

That is terrible! Hope he's all better soon!