Monday, February 21, 2011

If You Love Someone Then Tell Them

It's been an emotional week.  So many emotions bopping around in my head all at the same time like ping pong balls.  My father spent 3 days in the hospital.  My father is my hero.  If anything happened to him I would be devastated. 

Not only was I worried something could be terribly wrong with my dad but I saw my sister and mother for the first time in over 2 years.  Not knowing what they think of me was hard but I was so happy to see them even under such difficult circumstances.  I don't know why talking things out among adults and family members can feel so hard sometimes.

They say everything happens for a reason.  Could it be my dad got sick in order to bring me back together with my sister and mother?  I feel like a new connection has been made.  I feel like maybe there is hope.

If there are people in your life, friends and family, that you love and care for, don't take them for granted.  Tell them you love them before it's too late.  Make sure they know you think about them everyday and how much they mean to you.  If you are estranged, forget the past and reach out just one more time.  Maybe once more is all it will take to restore a long lost relationship.  Don't give up, someone needs to be the one that takes the initiative.

What have you got to lose?

4 comments:

SmartBear said...

Is your dad doing any better? I am glad you were able to make a reconnection. You are so very right about this.
Hope all is well.
Best,
Tina

Rebecca said...

Totally agree...glad things are going well.

Driven To Distraction said...

I am terribly, terribly behind on commenting, and while there are a few before this that I need to drop notes on, I had to get to this one first. My grandmother died at the beginning of this past December, several years after estranging herself from my mom, aunt, and one of my uncles, as well as the majority of the rest of her family. My mom was devestated over her initial breakaway, and lived the last few years mourning a mother who wanted nothing to do with anyone. Knowing that she was ill and not likely to live more than a couple weeks, my mom went home and she and her sister went to visit their mom. Within hours of their visit, my grandmother died. It has been a very slow and sometimes painful process, but the fences that were torn down thanks to my grandmother are now being mended, and for the first time in many, many years, my mom has a relationship with her brother, and a better relationship with her sister and other brother.

I am so, so sorry that your dad is ill and hope that he is on the mend soon, and I am so, so glad that this door has opened for you. I hope that you are able to reconnect with your mom and sister and that they are able to see what a wonderful woman, wife, and mother you are.

purseblogger said...

This is beautiful and such wise words.
Is your Dad okay?
{{{HUGS}}}