Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Teacher's Eval of Muffin

Tomorrow is the first of 2 evaluations Muffin will have with the county...finally.  The poor little man will also have an additional speech evaluation and a feeding evaluation with a Private Therapy group in the afternoon.   To read about why we need a new Private Therapy Group read HERE.  The good news is, they are willing to accept our $25 copay.  Since any new appointments will be at the $75 copay, we have to find another provider...we just can't afford that.  The reason for the higher copay was due to the fact that the practice was owned by a hospital and not a physician. 

Anyway, that means he's got 3 therapy evaluations in one day...

I've taken the day off in order to coordinate this.

Part of the County's eval and the reason for this post is the questionnaire that I received back from Muffin's teacher.

It really took me by surprise when I read the questionnaire at just how extensive his SPD and speech issues impact his day in school, not to mention his fellow classmates.

He can't do what the other kids can....here are some quotes from the 4 page document I received from his preschool teacher...

"he does not talk with anyone or even acknowledge anyone else, unless they move into his area of play, then he will use his body to push them out of his area, or mess up toys by using his feet and hands to push them around..."

"he does not seem to have the social skills necessary to move in and out of play situations..."

"he is the kid in class that knocks down the block towers of others, steps on the book that someone else was looking at, pushes in between kids to get into line..."


and it just goes on and on and on...

It's hard to read. 

One thing really sticks out at me in the document and that is the number of time "Sensory" issues comes up.

I'm feeling good that we are moving forward but it doesn't make knowing these things any easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am pleased to announce that I was nominated for an SPD Blogger Award under the Awesome Category.  I hope telling my stories about Muffin helps other families out there and this makes me feel like maybe it does.  If you have a chance, please vote for me HERE. Thank You:)

5 comments:

*Jess* said...

big hugs! I know its hard to read how your child isn't like others. Its meant to help, not hurt, but I know it does anyway.

SPD and autism can look very similar, but the biggest difference between them is the social aspect. Are you worried about him socially?

Rebecca said...

That's hard to hear. When I used to have to fill out that paperwork, I would do my best to be honest, but still realize that the parent would see it. It's so hard b/c you have to tell what you're seeing, but you know it's going to put a tiny little crack in that mother's heart.

I know it's hard, but the services that they are offering sound really good. It sounds like they are as interested in his progress as you are. Just one more piece of totally unsolicited advice...if you ever feel that something isn't working, speak up. You're the parent...you make the final call...you are his only real advocate. Educate yourself and keep all records. Hang in there, Mama!

Julia said...

so glad you guys are getting the help he needs. and it's nice to see you blogging again!!

Danifred said...

I'm sorry that this is a process you guys are going through, yet I'm happy that he's being evaluated and helped.
Please know that I am here if you need anything! If you need/ want me to look things over, bounce ideas off of, discuss meetings, just say the word!
Hugs

dotcomkari said...

*hugs* It is never easy to hear things about your children. I am sorry that you are having to go through this.

Hang in there. There are a lot of moms out there that have been where you are right now. (I personaly went through it with my son) and I am not going to lie, sometimes it doesn't get any easier .. but time will pass and your son will be all he can be.

I hope with all that is happening he can get services that will help in his future and help him succeed to his protentional

(sorry I can not type today nor spell.. brain fart day...)