Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year


Day 1 and I'm already frustrated.  Photoshop isn't the least bit user friendly or intuitive.  I much prefer Aperture 2, at least I can get the program to do what I want.  

Things I couldn't do:
  • Resize for web because my image was too big.
  • Watermark the image or just add text...it was TINY?  
  • Couldn't blur the background effectively.
  • Not happy with the sharpening.
The sad part?  I actually took an online photoshop class.  It didn't help me.  Perhaps I'm hopeless.  I hate that this program is so complicated and that all the options are buried in drop down menus upon more drop down menus full of values that are of no meaning to me.

I may be hopeless.  I may HATE this program forever.  I admit I avoid Photoshop like the a disease and I usually end up frustrated and on the verge of tears every time I use it.  Why does everyone rave about his program?  Maybe lightroom would be a better choice for me.  I'm not into special effects and prefer to shoot in such a way that as little tweaking as possible is needed. 

Welcome to me hell;)

7 comments:

I'm just the MOM said...

I can't wait to see all your pics!

Ashley said...

I just started a 365 too and have photoshop elements on the way. I have no clue how to use it but am going to figure it out. Why are you forcing yourself to use Photoshop? Ive heard Aperture 3 is amazing! And I think it would be cheap for you to upgrade if you are using Aperture 2. This oil is great, despite your editing frustrations!

Tiffany said...

I hate Photoshop too! It is the most mind boggling, frustrating program. I have been using Corel Paintshop X3. I like it.

Stepping On Cheerios said...

I'm with you ladies. I guess I just can't find feeling inferior since it's the industry standard. I will continue using Aperture for my business. This PS3 will be my little side investigation:)

Michelle Leigh said...

You should check out Erin Cobb, she has some great Photoshop tutorials you can purchase. Her style is really clean and beautiful. Photoshop has a major learning curve and it takes a lot of patience. I am mostly self taught just by exploring everything and googling what I need to do. But, it seems you are being proactive about learning so good for you! I was hoping to do a 365 too, I have the blog all set up, just gotta load pictures and such!

Rebecca @ Unexplained X2 said...

I'm glad you're doing this...maybe I should jump on board! Are there rules? Guidelines? What's the deal?

I have never used Photoshop...what can I say.

L. Merical said...

You crack me up! If you need help with anything, let me know :) Also, to easily resize for web, crop your image to whatever proportion you want (8x10, 5x7, etc) but set the resolution to 72 dpi (dots per inch, or pixels per inch). That's considered ideal for web. For sharpening, it's easiest to use the Unsharp mask (under filters > sharpen > unsharp mask). Masks are your new best friend, get to know and love them. It's a really, really powerful tool.
<3 you momma bird! You're going to be great!