Friday, January 14, 2011

Fertility at 35

My first son was born when I was 29 and my second at 31.  I think the timing was right for me, not too young, not too old...

I'll be 35 next week and I'm not sure if I'm done having children yet.  I just can't shake this feeling that I'm supposed to do this one more time.

6 mos old Muffin and 3 year old Puck
I realize my time is running out and could very well be over with out my knowledge anyway.  Someone said something to me today about having children at 35...35 too old?  Really, is it?  I realize this is a very personal decision and that woman have children well into there 40's and even 50's.   I was surprised when I heard that commercial on the radio to donate eggs...and I was too old (not that I would consider donating my eggs, that's not for me either, but still...)

I would be lying if I didn't admit that I would love to have a little girl the 3rd time around.   That doesn't mean I wouldn't love a boy too.  I do love boys:)

I think I could do it better this time.  I think I still have more to give and I think Puck and Muffin would enjoy being big brothers.  Puck doesn' even remember when Muffin was born, he was practically still a baby himself, still in diapers and sleeping in a crib!  Puck said to me tonight, "How do babies get in your tummy?"

eeek!

I told him Jesus puts them there so we would have to pray a whole lot.  You know what he did?  He prayed!  "Dear God, Please put a baby in mommy's tummy, a girl one.  I'm asking really nice, ok?"

I asked him what would he do with a girl, would he play dolls with her?  He replied that, "Yes, " he would because he is the big brother!

Well that's just too freaking cute.  I told him he better keep praying.

Hubs was begging me for a 3rd baby a year and a half ago and I didn't want anything to do with that idea.  Now the tables have turned but I think he may be coming around.  We'll see.

Maybe I should say a little prayer too.

PS:  You've got to click HERE to see what my youngest looks like now.  He'll be four next month!

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think when we choose to have children, whatever age that might be is our own personal choice. I am going to be 35 this year and would like to have one more myself. I'm praying that my husband's heart softens to the idea.
Puck is too cute saying he would play dolls with a little sister. Your boys sound like they would be great big brothers to another little one. :)

Miss. C said...

This is a great post! I will be 35 this year as well! I love the prayer factor in all of this!! Good luck, can't wait to read more on what happens!!!
www.candymgraham.blogspot.com

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

EEEK! Excited for you to be pondering the idea. John travolta, age 56, and Kelly Preston, age 48, just had a healthy baby boy! You are still REALLY young and should GO. FOR. IT!

Tezzie said...

I had my first when I was 35, so no, I don't think it's too old at all...keepin' it real, though, I haven't had the energy and up-and-go that I would've had if I'd started younger...but that has a lot to do with just me being me and there are plenty of 35+ year olds that have more energy than I did at 20-something! ;D

So very cute what Puck said...hope he gets to experience being a big brother again...and, boy, would it ever be adorable to see him playing Barbies with a little sister!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like it's in the hands of fate...it's so cute that Puck wants another baby. This could get very interesting...

*Jess* said...

we're trying for our third (and have been since may!) and I'm going to be 33 this year! I have the same concerns.

Danifred said...

I'll be 36 this year and we're still trying! I think you're only as old as you feel. I'll be praying for both of us (now, wouldn't that be a fun turn of events!)

Danifred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cynthia said...

Aww! That's the sweetest little prayer I've ever heard. You're absolutely right ... Choosing to have a baby is a personal matter. There is a higher risk of things going wrong when you're 35+ and even more so when you're 40 and over. When I was in my 30s, I gave myself until 35 to start a family but that age came and went. Then I met my husband in my late 30s and we both wanted to have a baby. We knew the risks but it felt right. I had taken care of my body, was in great shape and came from a family full of healthy baby producers. Given the good odds in spite of my age, I still mentally prepared myself for a bad outcome. I became pregnant at age 39 and then again at 40 and love that I didn't keep to my age35 limit. Listen to your heart and body. Only you will know it's right.

Mommyfriend Lori said...

Big and exciting possibilities! Best of luck Mama! Keep us posted!

Chic Homeschool Mama said...

Oh I have struggled with this topic quite a bit. I just turned 34 but the age really isn't the issue for me. My youngest is 7- all 3 of my kids are equally spaced at 2.5 years apart. Having another now would sure be an adjustment. We have long since given away all the baby stuff- we would be starting over. I suppose we would have to anyway because my oldest is nearly 13- so using all that same old stuff wouldn't be good. For the longest time my husband was adamantly against any more kids. It was heartbreaking. I too still feel to this day that I would love to do it one more time. It wasn't until just a couple years ago that he finally said that if I wanted to - we could. But then practicality & all rational thought set in. Adding a 4th would mean bigger car- bigger house & I would go back to not working. I already homeschool the kids & I finally have a good balance with my work at home position. Could my schedule handle a baby. At the time when we would need the extra income the most- we would be giving it up. Then I start going into the thoughts of "am I being greedy?" I already have 3 perfect kids- am I testing fate if I am not satisfied with what God gave me so easily? Needless to say- I don't know what is in store for us. I know this for a fact- you never regret the children you have- but sometimes you do regret the ones you don't.