Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tomorrow is the Day..Ear Tubes!!!

Yes, I am actually excited about this event.  I am excited that Muffin will be able to hear the way he is supposed to.  I am excited about any and all changes that will be coming his way.  He's been doing great the last couple of weeks and I think this is going to be such a huge hurdle to get over.

Oh you should see him with his short hair cut...it actually looked cute tonight even without all those golden curls...

Pulled from Bing Images
Wish us luck...

Here is a photo of what the tube looks like and where it is inserted.  It acts like a tunnel to drain fluid that is preventing the eardrum from vibrating properly.

I actually had this procedure when I was around 5 years old for the exact same reasons.

I've been told that aside from waking up from anesthesia there is no recovery, which is a very good thing.

If your child is having speech, language, or developmental delays I would highly recommend, from personal experience, a trip to the Audiologist.  I never would have guessed in a 100 years that Muffin was having hearing problems.  I actually remember thinking that I didn't want to have to make another co-pay for an unnecessary doctors appointment, and boy was I wrong.  I walked out of that appointment totally shocked.  The fluctuating hearing loss isn't based on volume but more often pitch.  Which explains why he could seemingly hear me when I was whispering.  Go see that Audiologist, you won't be sorry!

4 comments:

Goodnight moon said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! My daughter had tubes put in her ears when she was 5mths old. She had chronic ear infections. Surgery was in and out...but when she came out of anesthesia it was horrible. It made me so sad.

All will be well!!!!!! I'll be thinking of Muffin. Hugs!!!!

Rebecca said...

Good luck...I'm sure he's going to do well!!!

Tezzie said...

Oh, that's exciting stuff!!! Hope it all went well today...best wishes to your sweet Muffin-man :D

Ashley said...

I'm late getting to this post. How did it go?