Monday, November 29, 2010

Muffin's Cognitive Improvements

If you have been following Muffin's history then you would know that he can communicate "who" and "what" but does not communicate "why".  In other words, conversation with him is very basic.  He doesn't ask why...I just try to meet his needs.

There were 2 really exciting moments for me over the long Thanksgiving weekend for me with regards to communication with my son.  Just  to bring you up to speed he has been diagnosed as having a developmental delay, oral aversion, and Sensory Processing Disorder.  He is almost 4 but most days I feel like I still have a 2 year old.

Exciting Moment #1:  I had just gotten out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my head as most woman probably do everyday.  He asked me why I was wearing a hat on my head.  I said, "No, it's a towel" and he said, "Oh, why are you wearing a towel on your head?"

You may not realize why this simple question just floored me so let me explain.  Muffin never asks "why" questions, nor is he able to answer "why" questions.  I was smiling as I was explaining that the towel was helping to dry my hair because I never have to explain anything to him!!!

Exciting Moment #2:  This just happened tonight.  I was trying to move the laundry into the dryer and calling out to him to finish up with the tooth brushing and get in bed.  I kept saying between handful of wet clothing from washer to dryer, "Come on Muffin, let's go!"  To which he stopped and leaned around the door jam to make eye contact with me down the hallway to say, "I'm brushing my teeth, I'm almost finished!"  He was even a little exasperated with me for trying to rush him. 

All I can say is pride swelled up inside me and all I could do was smile and say, "OK honey!"  Way to go little man, mommy is so proud of you.  I hope that means all the speech and OT is starting to pay off.

3 comments:

dotcomkari said...

Awe! that is just plain wonderful! isn't it great to see your child finally catching on to something?

by the way I am Kari. I am your newest follower. I am a member of SPD blogs too. I have a four year old son with Autism and SPD along with some other special needs.
I can not wait to get to know your family better

http://dotcomkari.blogspot.com

Danifred said...

That is just awesome! You should be a proud Momma!

Rebecca said...

YES!!! This is great! My babysitter just told me she wants to go to school for OT and I am so behind her. They are so amazing sometimes!