Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Auditory Processing Quirk

Muffin has a quirk.
He often repeats his questions.  For example if he asks, "Can I take the toy upstairs?"
I say, "Yes."
He says, "Can I take the toy upstairs?"
I say, "Yes."
and so on and so forth.

His preschool teacher has noticed, we have noticed.  The only way to get him to move on is to repeat his question back to him, "Yes, you may take the toy upstairs."
His occupational therapist said today it's an auditory processing issue.  He can't process my "Yes" answer and needs to hear me repeat it back to him.

I'm always amazed when I discover these little things about Muffin and all the facets of SPD.
And while I'm on the topic of quirks, can someone please tell me how to get this kid to walk, instead of RUN everywhere?  Please?

Also this week I had Muffin's parent/teacher conference.  Overall he is doing well but I was disheartened to hear that the teacher was surprised to learn he is one of the oldest students in the class but he appears to be one of the youngest.  I know that's true.  I know he is just a few months away from turning 4 and I still feel like I have a 2 year old.  He wears me out, but I still feel sad to hear someone else say it.  For the past 2 years I've been asking for help and everyone kept telling me that he is so smart and just needs better discipline.  Now, I'm finally hearing what I've known all along, and it sucks.
Making progress slowly...I'm exhausted.

5 comments:

Shell said...

That's great that you are figuring out things like that and can get him to understand, instead of being stuck with trying to get him to listen to your "yes."

He is a DOLL. Those curls just kill me.

Rebecca said...

That last paragraph makes me sad, but progress is progress and there are so many different paces at which they develop. He's just creating his own path (with you running behind him).

I don't know what to say about the running...Matt runs like a freaking track star (pretending his deaf to my desperate calls of "don't run into the street" or "STOP!") while Hailey lazily strolls behind me stopping to smell every single flower in the world!!!

Cara said...

About the running issue: have you tried a weighted vest or heavy back pack? I needed something for Maria when we would go out in public, but I didn't want other people to notice. I didn't want it to look like a therapy device. I know they sell weighted sweatshirts that look like normal ones. Also, maybe try a long sleeved leotard, (or spandex or under armour type material) under his clothes (if he can tolerate it). Sometimes the added pressure against their bodies just helps to slow them down. How is the sensory diet going? Do you or his OT use the "brushing" technique?

*Jess* said...

Very similar to my son as well! I promise it does get better! My son is now 5 and acts most of the time like a 5 year old. He'll catch up with therapy :)

trydefyinggravity said...

The hardest part is hearing someone else say there's something going on with your child. But the best part is that it shows you that it's not all in your head. Hopefully they'll have some great techniques for you.
Visiting from the SPD blogger network list! Welcome!
Alysia