Friday, October 15, 2010

Fluctuating Hearing Loss - The Challenges Keep on Coming!

Muffin failed his hearing test.  I went into the Audiologist's appointment fully expecting Muffin to pass with flying colors.
He failed.
I was told that he has "unhealthy ears" and that his level of hearing is drastically compromised.   They told me sounds are muffled and it could sound to him like everything is under water.  I was so shocked.  This could be a huge contributor to his delayed speech issues.  There is one more test they would like to do but he wouldn't tolerate wearing the headphones.  They want to retest him in a few weeks.  Then it's likely he'll be referred to an Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor for Tubes, I'm guessing. The test that he wouldn't allow them to perform would tell us if there is a deeper issue with his hearing that tubes wouldn't help.
Once again, we wait...
Cade seems to be doing well with both Speech and OT.  Life with Muffin is exhausting.  Everything is always extra fast, extra high, extra low, extra loud...
I am now a member of the SPD Network.  It's an amazing place for parents of children with SPD to support each other.  If your child has issues associated with SPD, please check it out!

5 comments:

*Jess* said...

I will go check that link out! I'm so sorry about this latest discovery, but it may turn out to be a good thing! At least its a pretty fast fix!! He should be hearing better soon!

krayzid0rk said...

My boyfriend lived that way until he was 5. He was mostly deaf from ear infections supposedly. He had learned to read lips really well but wasn't very talkative. They put tubes in his ears and it made all the difference in the world. He said it was really overwhelming for a few months because he was hearing things he had never heard and that it was sooo loud. I wish you the best of luck with all this, I have hope for the little one :)

Danifred said...

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this, but happy that you are getting some answers. I know that this must be a frustrating process for you. Hugs!

Lauren said...

Hang in there Momma! I know it's got to be tough with your little bird right now, but it'll get better, especially now that you have an even better handle on things.

Danielle said...

Hey momma,,
You have an in-house audiologist reading your blogs (me!), and ear infections are TOTALLY common, in fact 88% of kids have at least three before the age of 3, but I bet the vast majority of parents have no idea and their lives are not changed for the worse. Keep listening to your gut and don't feel too shy to ask questions and get your answers (feel free to ask me if you'd like), and I strongly support bringing a second set of ears (a friend or family member you trust) cause sometimes I think parents (I'm not one yet but my mom used to say this all the time) have trouble hearing all the information when it comes to their kids., (plus they sometimes help encourage or ask good questions you didn't think of yet)!

Trust your instincts is the #1 rule, if you think something is right,, then it is ,, if you think something is wack,,, ask again or ask someone else:)