Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Younger Self

I haven't been writing much these last few months. Life has been increasingly crazy but last night I read a post that inspired me. Lindsay from Once Upon a Mommy wrote a post called, "My Younger Self".
It really got me thinking about what I would tell my younger self if I could go back in time and tell myself all about what age and experience has taught me.

I would tell that young high school girl not to be so "by the book". I would tell her to relax and have fun and less goodie-2-shoes-like. You see I was a BIG rule follower. Never skipped class, never missed curfew, never drank or smoked while I was in High School (Although I certainly made up for it in college...). I kept my virtue very close if you catch my drift. I was a good girl and I was loyal and I always put everyones needs above my own.

I would tell myself that Photography can be a REAL job and I would have pursued it in college instead of getting a degree in something I scarcely remember or will ever use in my life.

I would tell my younger self to s l o w d o w n. I was never happy with where I was, I always thought the next step was where I wanted to be. So I never just enjoyed being in the moment because I was too busy trying to get to the next big thing.

I would also tell her that pleaseing everyone else just because you hate confrontation will never make her happy in the end.

I would tell her that she has 2 beautiful and extremely bouncey baby boys waiting for her in the future so just relax and take her time getting there.

4 comments:

kisatrtle said...

the part about trying to please everyone really hit home for me. Good advce.

Danielle said...

I think this is a beautiful meme and I too was the good girl following all the rules and then letting loose in college just to figure how who I actually was.

I would tell myself to stop thinking your heavy or not pretty,, which is silly cause I can't tell myself that now but I'd try!

Danifred said...

I really like this post. I live so much of my life with regret, I don't know that I could complete this without losing my mind over all the should-have-beens.

T said...

Great post.

I would tell my younger self that she HAS to stay in college, because her worst nightmare (being a single mom of 2) could/did come true.