Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mystery Solved: Why We are Fat!

Portion Size.

Since I have been counting my calories for the past few weeks I have become so much more aware of how many calories are in certain meals and snacks. The information I have gathered is frightening.

Right now I am looking at the snack I'm eating. I decided to grab a bag at the Gas Mart near my office. I needed something salty! I finally settled on a bag of Rold Gold Pretzel Thins and a bottle of Fuze to quinch my thirst. I really wanted to treat myself to Fritos or Potato Chips but the calorie count was just too high for me to "stomach."

Case in point:

I purchased the $0.99 bag which contains 2-5/8 oz. If you glance at the back of the back you will see 110 calories. Not too bad....but WAIT! If you look again you will see that there are actually 2.5 servings in the bag. 2.5! Let's do the math, shall we?

Pretzels:
110 calories X 2.5 servings = 275 calories

Fuze Beverage:
10 caloris X 2 servings = 20 calories (not too bad but you get the point)

Why in the world would you pre package more then one serving in a snack size bag? I'm fairly certain most people just assume one little bag of chips or pretzels is ONE SERVING. We are basically eating at least double the portions of the food we eat.

So there you have it folks. It seems so obvious now, doesn't it? Of course if you are reading this I am probably just preaching to the choir!

3 comments:

Fat Girl vs. World said...

My favorite examples of this happen to be Pop Tarts -- one sleeve is 2 servings. I've never met one person to eat half a package of poptarts.

my favorites are the toasted brown sugar ones: http://www2.kelloggs.com/ServeImage.aspx?BID=72339&MD5=dd3c1d3c0997d69daa09221c81c3c1fb

1 pastry is 210 calories; one sleeve is 420.
And it is 100% CRAP to eat!

Lucy said...

The other lesson here is that food manufacturers of processed foods KNOW their products are high in calories, so they have to "portion" it to make it "less cal=-horific". It's all smoke and mirrors with food labelling and marketing of processed foods.......

But stuff without a label.....well, there are a whole lot LESS suprises.....

So I always have to remind myself, if I don't want to get shocked by the nutrition lable, eat something that doesn't have a label, like a banana or an apple......no shocks there.....

The Better Idiot said...

It's not to late to join if you'd like! All you need to do is add a badge to your sidebar linking back to the challenge page, and write a post outlining your goals for the challenge period. Welcome to the challenge!