Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Heart on my sleeve and a Puppy

I wear my heart on my sleeve. Good, bad, ugly, or indifferent, it all shows like a fashion statement across my face. I've always been that way. I think disappointment affects me more than any other emotion I can think of.

The animal rescue leagues make it really hard to get a dog. Honestly, I think they may be the reason there are so many animals that need good homes. The process you have to go through is ridiculous. To make a long story short even though my application was accepted and our home check went fine, they wouldn't allow us to adopt the puppy we had already met because I have a 3 year old. That's it. That's the only reason. I will no longer be trying to rescue a dog. They made me cry. They said I could adopt an older dog. Blah, Blah, Blah. I've been moping around for 2 days.

Then today I found a Labradoodle, 4 months old from a breeder and the dog was in our price range. She sent me a photo, we are in love. Did I mention it's a Labradoodle? Here he is...
Hubs said I could go pick him up tonight but the lady never got back to me. I'm praying that we can pick him up tomorrow. Please cross your fingers for me....The Labradoodle (Lab/Poodle Mix) is our first choice breed...a family dog that doesn't shed!

I bought a collar and a leash, just in case she calls back....I'll be ready to go. Please send lucky puppy thoughts our way.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oooh...you have to keep up posted.

Not to say they're right or anything because I would never do that, but research has proven that puppies can be very unpredictable around small children...it's weird...it's like they don't know they're people and think they're dogs they have to compete with...and conquer. Scary, right?

Tiffany said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you, toes too! hopefully it all works out and the puppy situation gets worked out.

Michelle Leigh said...

I hope you get to go get that pup of yours soon! He looks like a nice guy! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Cara said...

I know it's hard. They do make it very difficult, but they do it for good reasons. I have worked with animal rescue groups for a long time. I have fostered many dogs and cats (before we had kids) and I've been the one to do home checks. The reason groups like that are so picky is because they use most or all of their donated funds to rescue, rehabilitate and care for these animals. They love these animals like their own and want to find them a forever home. Many people (not saying you or your family) treat animals as if they can just throw them away when they don't work out for whatever reason. The rescue groups don't want their animals winding up in shelters when it doesn't work out. I know, it's hard to understand. It sucks when you are trying to do the right thing by adopting/rescuing instead of buying a dog from a breeder. But the rescue groups have been burned so many times. So for the animal's sake, they want to place the dog in a home where they know they will spend their whole life. Unfortunately, having young kids is like having a black mark against you if you want a puppy.

Sorry to ramble...but I've been on both sides of your situation.

Good luck and I hope the puppy works out!!!

Jenny said...

Such a cutie! Sorry to hear about the adoption process...that is so weird that they would not let you adopt because of a 3 year old...you would think they would want the dog to have a home!

good luck!

Shell said...

Oh, I hope you get him! So cute!

Lindsay said...

I am glad that I read the first post about your new dog and then read this one : ) I can't believe they wouldn't let you adopt bc you have a three year old. The idea wouldn't have even crossed my mind.