Monday, April 12, 2010

The Great Family Dog Search

I have been reading everything I can on dogs, breeds, adopting etc...I originally wanted a Pug. My best friend has one and we adore it. As a matter of fact, we'll be pet sitting this weekend for Mug, the Pug!


We have finally started discussing how a dog would benefit our family (sorry Danifred). I've been through breed after breed and filled out tons of applications to adopt from a rescue league, which is RIDICULOUS by the way. It's no wonder there are so many dogs that need homes. They make the process quite difficult and slow...I also have a funny story I'll save for another time...

Anyway, we've ended up with this choice. It's the one we both agree on...

It's a Labradoodle. You know, half lab, half poodle. They usually don't shed, big plus, and are great family dogs.
I had a positive conversation tonight with a breeder and I'm hopeful we can get a pup for the price that meets out budget.
I'm excited and so hopeful that this one thing will go my way...please cross your fingers for me!

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

I agree with you on the ridiculous process you have to go through to adopt a pet. I understand that the shelter or organization wants to ensure that the pet ends up in a good home but come on! The amount of paperwork and the expectations they have is quite discouraging. I was going to adopt before bringing home the dog I bought. But the process they require was so daunting I changed my mind and bought an adorable Jack Russell instead.
Good luck on your Labradoodle. I have never seen a picture of one before, they're cute! *fingers crossed for you*

Shell said...

Adorable! I'm not a big dog person, but even I can be won over by a labradoodle.

Danifred said...

Our neighbor has a labradoodle and they love it. Are you sure you don't want one of our dogs? PLEASE!!!!!

T said...

I hear you about the adoption process - I swear it's easier to adopt a kid! Our process was so daunting (home visits - not one, but 3!, references, proof of this and that, waiting, not having young kids (WTH?!)), etc).

Which is why we waited until we went to Tn. We walked in, found our beloved Nash and walked out with him 1/2 hr. later! This could have been a pup from here we saved, but the process left us so frustrated and upset.

Good luck and can't wait to see pics when you settle on a pup!

Jenny said...

I hear that the adoption process is a process...
Great choice...the labradoodles are so cute...I hope you find one!

Marie said...

My sister had a labradoodle and he is a wonderful dog. We just adopted brother/sister pups a month ago. I was so worried about how everything would go but so far so good. I've missed having a dog around. Good luck w/your pup! hope you get to bring it home soon :)

Messy Mommy said...

I'm totally not a dog person, but Hubby wants a dog. This might be a good choice for us. I really want a poodle but he said no way.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Good for you for doing your research and homework! I often wonder how many dogs out there wind-up needing to be rescued because their first owner didn't bother to find out if the dog would be a good fit for their family. I can't wait to 'meet' the newest member of your family!

Rebecca said...

Stick with someone non-shedding...definitely...unless you're trying to lose your sanity!

Left you an award on my blog!

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

Dood luck! That's a beautiful dog.

Tee aka The Diva's Thoughts said...

Oops! I meant "Good luck..." lol

Kristiina said...

Best of luck. Our dog drives me nutty on a daily basis, but most of that is our own fault. We were not good about training her when she was a puppy and now that we have kids, we are paying for it:) But I know that the boys will adore the dog! Can't wait to see pics of the pup.

Mrs4444 said...

As much as I am not a fan of dogs, I know that every boy needs a dog. Glad you found one right for you :)

LindsayDianne said...

I cannot WAIT for the pictures. Great choice in breed.
Also, I be taking your button. :)