Monday, March 15, 2010

My Hero


Since I can remember, I have always thought of my father as my hero. To me he was always a patient, loving, and understanding teddy bear. Which amazes me now since he was a policeman. For years he worked as an investigator for the Homicide Department in a very dangerous city. He would go to work and see the most horrible things and come home and sit at the dinner table with his 2 daughters. You've seen Law & Order and CSI, well that was him...investigating crime scenes...daily, I have to add.

He had to work a lot in those days so he missed some events here and there but I never remember being disappointed or let down. I had enough healthy fear to follow his rules so I was a good teenager. I can only recall him yelling at me once, and I deserved it. In my high school years he was able to make more time for us. He went on almost every class trip (overnights and all) with the Marching Band. He used to help us get on and off the field at competitions. He was a favorite chaperon among the kids. Everyone he meets loves him.

He's the kind of dad that supports you even when he doesn't agree with your choices.

He was there for me when I got married.

He was there for me when I had my sons, the first one to the hospital and the last one to leave.

He comes to every birthday party the boys have and makes an effort to see his grandsons all the time. The waitress at anniversary dinners for Hubs and I have surprised us on more than one occasion with a gift certificate to cover our dinner.

My parents are divorced and now I have this amazing step mom. I love them both so much. My older son no longer recognizes my mother in photos. We haven't seen her in 15 months.

I love my father and the support he gives to my whole family. I am thankful to have such an amazing and inspirational grandfather for my boys.

12 comments:

Amanda said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad! You're so blessed to have such a great relationship with him.

Ellemes said...

What a blessing to have such a great dad. My dad is my hero too and I try everyday to be just like him.

Jenny said...

Sounds like you have an amazing father in your life!

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

What a sweet post! I am so glad that he has remained such a strong and constant force in spite of everything that has happened with your mom and sister. And isn't it funny how the men who are supposed to be the toughest-of-the-tough are often the ones who are the sweetest on the inside?!

Tezzie said...

Really beautiful words to honour your dad...he sounds great! And, how sad about your kids no longer recognizing their grandma...whatever the reasons for it, it's still sad :(

Thanks for the 'yeah!' on facebook :D Since I'm 'incognito' with the whole photo blogging thing, I couldn't give thanks under the pic...but kinda cool to be featured, in any case! ;D

Danifred said...

What a lucky and blessed woman you are to have such a wonderful father!
I'm certain you make him proud :)

Lindsay said...

Aww, what a great post! We hear so much about how everyone loves the moms so I love to hear post about the great dads out there : ) And what a crazy job! I can kinda relate. My dad was a drill sergeant Army so I was never out of line. But like your dad he trust all of my decisions and stands by me.

Shell said...

You are very lucky! My kids don't know who my father is. Thankfully, they have an amazing grandfather in my stepdad, though.

purseblogger said...

I loved this post. Very sweet. He sounds like an amazing man.

Prairiemaid said...

Wonderful post! I'm sure he is as crazy about you, as you are him! Good relationships are a treasure.

JoeyRes said...

That's terrific to have such a great father.

I've mentioned you in my Beautiful Bloggers post today.

Sheila said...

Hi Brandi! I'm stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Society. This is such a wonderful post and tribute to your father. He sounds like a beautiful person. Cherish every moment you have with him.