Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Mommy Prose

Mom. Mother. Mama.

As a woman with one of these titles you know all to well what the meaning of being a mother is. Whether you stay at home or commute to an office everyday, you love your kids and you sacrifice yourself for your little ones every single day.

You sacrifice little things...perhaps you put back that $8.00 T-Shirt at Target because you little guy or girl just HAS to HAVE this or that, maybe they need it, maybe they don't. As a mom, you would rather your kids have what they want or need over anything that you may want or need.

You sacrifice big things...perhaps a promotion at work or a career you've always dreamed about because somehow you'd rather make valentines for all 16 kids in your child's preschool class or bake a cake for his or her birthday.

We sacrifice our bodies, our minds, and our humility. I have found being a mother to be the most rewarding and the most humiliating job I've ever had. Childbirth in any fashion is beautiful and humbling. Everyone on the planet has seen your Va-J-J and manhandled your breasts. Don't even make me mention the suppositories that come after C-Sections...OMG, the things you'll agree to just so you can take your little baby home....shiver...

We rock sick babies to sleep.

We sleep on the floor next to their cribs with our arms through the bars just to comfort them without bringing them into your bed where they want to be...

We get up countless times a night for years, to check on a cry, or offer a feeding, or a comforting hand on the back. We bring ice water and we turn on nightlights and check for the monsters under the bed.

We change wet sheets in the dark and telling your little one, "It's ok, mommy will take care of it..."

We smile with pride at school concerts, when a 2 minute rendition of "He's got the whole world in his hands" can bring you to tears. You take 100 photos of your oldest while keeping your younger offspring happy in your lap or even better a stroller with endless supplies of cheerios and goldfish.

Driving through McDonalds raises you to hero status for an afternoon.

We fold the laundry, its un-ending, and no one ever says thank you.

No matter what kind of day I've had, the second I walk in the door I see 2 little boys shouting "Mama" and running to hug me. Who cares if my shirt is one size too small. Who cares if I forgot to put make-up on that day. Who cares if my boss yelled at me for no reason. Who cares that traffic sucked.

I'm a mom and I have everything I need.

13 comments:

Heather said...

I absolutely love this post. Every word of it! Nothing better than being a mom.

Ellemes said...

Beautiful and true.

Rebecca said...

Nicely done...although I still can't manage to skip the makeup! May you always be at hero status with all of your daily doings!

Jenny said...

Such a wonderful post and definitely captured every moment of being a mom. When I hear Mommy, I just melt.

Michelle Leigh said...

That's incredibly lovely. I enjoyed reading it!

My favorites are the McDonald's hero and the running to you screaming "mama". Thanks for sharing!

Christine said...

Awww....so sweet, really.

New follower..cuz you are my people and all! :P

Shell said...

What a beautiful post!

Danifred said...

So beautiful and so true!

L. Merical said...

Beautiful, just like you Mama :)

Beth said...

Beautiful!

Juno Mom said...

Beautifully written

Messy Mommy said...

Aw. Love love love love love this post!

Tezzie said...

Oh, well said, and so true...so true. You've managed to capture so many of the feelings of motherhood; I got misty eyed at the sweet moments you mention...and had a good chuckle over the 'post humiliation of childbirth, so I can laugh about it now, just because it's sooo true'...VaJJ...too funny ;D