Monday, March 1, 2010

It's Manilpulation and I couldn't be happier!

Muffin had his 2nd evaluation for Speech and Behavior in our home today. I was pretty nervous. He did great. As it turns out he is delayed in language but his speech is fine. His behavior needs work too, it would appear I'm being manipulated by a 3 year old. I've never been so glad to hear that though. I've been thinking his issues went deeper but listening to the expert and hearing her advice, I feel so much better.

I feel like now I know how to respond to him to achieve the best outcome. I know how to talk to him and how to encourage him to use more words and to learn that words have more power than his actions.

One thing she said that floored me was that girls toys model real life and boys toys don't. Kitchens and baby carriages vs. crashing cars and flying superheros. Makes sense, right? Muffin needs to learn how to wait and take turns. I need to spend some quality time with him everyday and play just me and him in a room with no other toys except the ones I have chosen for our activity. She suggested and used "Don't Break the Ice." He loves it and was taking turns with us in less then 3 minutes! He doesn't look at faces naturally so when I speak to him I need to wait for him to glance up at me.



She also recommended 1-2-3 Magic as a plan of discipline. I ordered the book on Amazon already.



I'll keep you posted on our progress:)

I'm excited and motivated to help him and me and our whole family. We spent a great day together after that.

6 comments:

Ellemes said...

It's great that you are open to some constructive criticism. I don't know that I always am. Please do keep us updated on the book. I am interested in discipline books, but never find any I like...not sure what that says about me...

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

I have read that book - at least most of it and I really thought the idea behind the 1-2-3 is very powerful! I loved it. Give the book a chance because it starts out and I didn't like some of how they worded things but as you keep reading you see how it all works and the reason behind it!

Good luck!

Rebecca said...

Sounds like great suggestions! A friend of mine used 1-2-3 Magic and loves it! Good luck!!!

Crayon Wrangler said...

I am going to have to run out and buy that game. We have some serious issues with waiting turns around here!

Michelle Leigh said...

Wow, how interesting. My youngest son doesn't really talk much and he'll be evaluated in a few weeks right after he turns two. I'll be interested to see what they say too! Good luck, and how crazy that such a simple game can do so much good! And I'm totally going to buy that book!

Jessica said...

We used 1-2-3 magic and loved it! Good luck!