Monday, February 1, 2010

House of Havac



Before having a husband and 2 children I never would have believed the utter destruction that lay ahead of me. When I lived alone, I had this cute little apartment with cute little things in it. I spent time trying to make it feel like home, trying to make it look and feel nice...

When my husband and I moved into our brand new home 30 days before our first son was born it was prisitine! Gorgeous wood floors, brand new carpet, fresh paint. We didn't have to do anything but move in. Every tile in the bathroom was sparkling. Every window and mirror fingerprint free. Even the appliances were perfect and clean since they were new.

Fast forward 5 years and 4 months later and what had become of my beautiful brand new home? It's been destroyed my 2 little tiny male children. There are 1000 divits in that once gorgeous wood floor. There are stains galore on the carpet. Every section of drywall I see has dents and marks on it. Beautiful wood door trim has huge holes in it from previously installed baby gates. The screen in front of our gas fireplace...destroyed from the work of these two tiny little men....One of them even managed to break the interior pane of one of our windows! One of our kitchen cabinet drawers literally had the front pulled off and we had to replace our fridge because of my little monkeys! (Which I might add already has dents in it!)

It's pretty depressing. I want my house to look nice again. I'm trying to reclaim it but it is a big and arduous process. I'll keep you posted of my progress. I grabbed a can of the original paint today and tried to cover up some of the worst spots....we'll see how long that will last!

4 comments:

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Oh how I can relate to this post! Shortly after we bought the house we currently live in, we bought a brand new kitchen table - the first 'big' purchase after moving back to Colorado. The table hadn't been in the kitchen more than 4 hours when a then-2-year-old-Cooper used his top two teeth to chew a strip of finish off of it. I was beyond livid. The table has since acquired countless dinges and dents, and in just the right light you can see a row of tiny holes poked by a fork-wielding toddler. While it is certainly a bit depressing, it is a valuable reminder of my life and my family - it isn't perfect and it is a bit banged up, but it is rich in history and in all the moments that we have had seated around it. (That does not, however, mean that I wouldn't LOVE a table that doesn't double as a racetrack for Matchbox cars.)

Rebecca said...

It's sooooo hard to see your nice house ruined...thank God for touch up paint!

Danifred said...

It's amazing how quickly little hands can destroy and mess up the world around them. I can't WAIT to get new couches... someday!

Lindsay said...

Oh how I can relate to this post! I HATE my carpet but refuse to replace it till Ryan gets a little older and we have no more animals. So we are starting off with re-doing our master bathroom which is nice for me because the hubby is getting a new whirlpool tub : ) But I just feel like it's going to take FOR-EVER to get everything where we need it. We want to eventually sell it and move into something bigger but that just seems like so far away!