Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hating to Discipline

Do you ever hate it when you have to be the parent? Do you ever hate it when you really have to step forward and discipline your child even though you just want to let it go because you love your kid no matter what? It happened to me tonight.

Puck's first TKD class after earning his white belt. He was terrible! Horsing around, not paying attention, not following instructions...uggg.

My husband is always after me because I let Puck off the hook. Tonight, we came home and I made Puck sit on the couch and I told him how disappointed I was in his behavior in class (I even saw the teacher talk to him at the end of class). I took away his beloved belt. He cried. He went up to his room and cried. My husband was so proud of me for making a stand. It still sucks though. I hated doing it but Puck doesn't know that. I know it's for his own good.

He knows he can earn it back before his next class if he tries really hard. Wish him luck, wish me luck!

7 comments:

Shell said...

Hang in there, mama!

I have a really hard time with this with my middle son. He had some health issues that lead to developmental delays. Even though he's improving SO much lately, all he has to do is say, "I sorry, I love you, Mommy" and I want to give him the world. Even if what he did was AWFUL. Because not too long ago, he wouldn't have even heard me when I fussed at him, let alone been able to respond. My oldest, though, I'm tough on. SIGH.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Oh yeah- I've definitely been there!! Sometimes it just sucks because I hate knowing I'm hurting them (even though it's because of their own choices). Sometimes, I'm honestly just tired of it and would prefer to go hide my head under my pillow!

Danifred said...

It does suck. But, you did the right thing... even if it is heartbreaking!

Elise Sara said...

BTDT. Sophia is in her room now and I can hear the screams across the house. Being a parent is far from easy, and often not fun. But I figure if it were always fun and easy it wouldnt be nearly as rewarding.

Rebecca said...

That's so hard (and kind of fun)! I hate when their little faces crumble and you just know they're going to cry! I only think it's fun b/c I was an 8th grade teacher and kind of enjoy inflicting torture on kids...I'm a sicko!

Alexandra said...

oh I hear ya!!! I feel the same way sometimes. but you are right...it has to be done. :)

found you on MBC and am now a follower!

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

I made this exact comment to my neighbor this week! We had been in such a good groove until lately, and now I am back to really having to parent and discipline - it stinks! For what it is worth, I think you did the right thing.