Friday, February 19, 2010

Dinner Drama

The kids are always talking over us. It's hard enough to maintain sanity in a marriage or any relationship for that matter when you can't even exchange 2 sentences together.

Last night Hubs makes us a delicious fattening dinner of chicken alfredo complete with garlic bread. The boys are playing and watching Toy Story (everyday we watch this movie for Muffin). The second Hubs and I sit down it's boys in our faces, "Get me this..." "Get me that". Then the fighting ensues of this damn jumbo firetruck that they like to race around the kitchen with. Hubs looks at me, voice starting to raise, "Throw that damn firetruck away, I want it gone!!!" (They are always fighting over it.) So I toss it out onto the patio.

Back to dinner...Hubs and I don't get 3 words out, I'm not even sure I had had a bite to eat yet, when all of a sudden both boys are screaming, someone pinched someone...I jump up and yell, "I caaaaaaan't eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat dinneeeeeeeeeeeer liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis!!!!!!!!

Two minutes later Hubs and I are back at the table eating a very lovely and quiet dinner while both boys are sitting quietly on the couch finishing the movie. I guess we stunned them into silence.

Dinner was fantastic!

11 comments:

Danifred said...

We go through that all the time. It seems like Bee and I can't even have a conversation throughout dinner these days. UGH!

Shell said...

I love that!

With Hubs' new work schedule, he and I are often eating after the boys are in bed.

Crazed Mama said...

Hahaha! My hubby and I always say the same thing but by the time we get to bed I am too tired to talk to him

Who's that Gamine? said...

you threw it out on the patio?! haha- that's something my mother would have done :)

happy i found your blog! (and that you and your hubs enjoyed dinner!)

love,
mg

*whosthatgamine.blogspot.com*

Rebecca said...

Sometimes it's just a simple freak out that does the job! It's nice to know that other parents "hide" favorite toys...they start wars! There are certain books that I hate to read (too many words), so we put them up high...recently, Matthew started climbing and getting them...gotta love that, right?

Chelle said...

Ohmygosh, hun, totally get it! Isabella loves to get up and down throughout most of dinner. One of us is chasing her, putting her into her room...

At least you both finally got to eat that delicious dinner--I love it!

xo

parentingadabsurdum said...

Love it! A little judiciously used breakdown can be very helpful!

Peryl (From MBC: I'm here: http://blog.seattlepi.com/parentingadabsurdum/ - the above login is an old wordpress blog).

mom2three said...

hmmm this sounds like my place 5 nights out of the week. We don't eat as a family as often as we probably should because of someone breathing in someone elses air area..haha!

I wish yelling still worked for me...Im just the crazy screaming mama that the kids laugh at!

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

Love your honest posts! Makes me feel normal! Glad you got to eat dinner with your husband in peace. This post did make me smile :)

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

We have instituted a 'No Toys In The Kitchen' rule for this very reason! And I am not ashamed to admit that my kids have gone to bed without dinner once or twice because of their behavior during the meal.

Lindsay said...

We have been trying to eat at the table more when Joe is home early but its like an arm bending tasks. Most of the time while we are at the table is us telling Ryan to sit and eat!

This is what I wish I would have started from the start! But Joe and I don't usually eat at the same time. I usually eat a big lunch and then skip dinner while Joe doesn't eat lunch and then eats a huge dinner.

Am planning that once he gets back in town that we get better at it : ) Fingers crossed...