Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chik Fil-A to the Rescue (and "Motherbitches")







One of my bloggy friends speaks of these "Mother bitches" on her blog, Things I can't Say. I love her blog it's everything you want to say but can't or don't or won't.

As many of you know I've been snowed in for days here. At 10:30 AM with a half naked potty training toddler and a back talking 5 year old running circles around the kitchen at decibel levels OSHA would show concern over, I announce "We're getting out of here!"

I load the kids up in the car, sans coats because who has time to stop for that, and we are off! Woooo Hoooo! I'm surprised that there is only one little boy running around in the playplace. I release the hounds, I mean my boys, and they run with socked feet up the climbers and down the slides in pure bliss:) I treat myself to a big cup of coffee and settle in to read a book. I'm enjoying watching them enjoying their play time so I don't even read a whole page before I put it away.

It's not long before I notice them...The suspected Motherbitches. I've never met these women in my life so I am only assuming...but still...I think I can tell. They congregate in a group of 3 moms and 4 or 5 kids (none over the age of 2-1/2). All the kids are dressed to the nines, matching sweaters, hats, socks. Big-Ass diaper bags abound...along with the whining. All the kids are whiney, clingly little (oh you can insert you favorite word here). My boys are running around in Tee's and Jeans making growling noises and who knows what else.

It was making my skin crawl to hear the baby way these women were talking to their kids. Does anyone know what I'm talking about here? I talk to my kids like they are smart, intelligent, little people. I don't coddle and I yell or raise my voice when appropriate. I don't freak out when they cry over the smallest things and I don't hose them down with anti-bacterial hand gel every chance I get. These woman never even looked me in the eye. They have no idea yet what it's like to have a 5 year old and a 3 year old at the same time. My boys, jump, climb, yell, scream, laugh, slide, tumble...they love life.

I'm trying like hell to nurture their spirits. I'm trying like hell to raise confident, self-assured young men who don't need to worry about what other people think of them in order to value themselves.

I've never been able to fit into these so called "Mom Groups". I hate them actually and have been openly looked down upon more then once for being a working mom. I feel sorry for woman who appear to have lost all of themselves in order to be what they consider good moms. I believe in order to be a good mom you must also love and take care of yourself. I bring more to the table and I'm teaching my boys how to respect the woman of their futures.

We spent almost 3 hours getting all that snowed-in energy out. It was a blast:)

8 comments:

Shell said...

I love this post. Sorry that you had a motherbitch run-in, but I love your attitude. If we lived near each other, we could so hang out- and our boys would have a blast together!

laura said...

I'm blurking around blogland instead of sleeping and stumbled across your blog. Thanks for the chuckle!! :-)

Laura@6lalas.blogspot.com

clairity said...

Great post, I love your spirit. Guess it takes a whole lot of different moms to make up the world ;)

Elise Sara said...

I agree with what you said, I dont work, but I don't judge. And I love the way you explained that you are teaching your sons to live and love life. Perfect. I know the types, I call them the Purell Moms. They make me nutso.

Danifred said...

We also did a little Chick-Fil-A visit this week, but luckily, THOSE moms must have been still stuck inside their houses, doing whatever it is they do.
Good for you guys for getting out and just enjoying yourselves!

danita said...

that is so funny! we were just at chick fil-a yesterday doing the same thing and i was recounting to hubs a motherbitch incident that happened at a different chick fil a.

For the Love of Naps - Sarah said...

I would join YOUR playgroup. You and I would mesh well. Your boys are lucky to have you!

The Wifey said...

Found you through Shell! Love your blog name; it's my life. Haha.

I have never been to a Chick-fil-A. I'm so ashamed. Those are some wicked cute boys.