Monday, January 11, 2010

Self-Portrait Challenge..but why?


After the birth of my 2nd son I realized I appeared in something like less than 10 photos in 2 years, and of those 10 I looked HORRIBLE! I looked as haggard as I felt for sure but I didn't want my sons to grow up thinking that's what I really looked like. Inside I felt like the same 17 year old I always see when I look in the mirror (as long as I don't look too close;).

I started fixing my hair and wearing make-up on a consistent basis, bought some clothes that didn't look like they were made for the lactating cow I felt like and I started asking people to take pictures with me and my boys.

I'm a photographer by profession. Everyday I come into contact with woman who complain about having to have their portrait taken. Honestly, most of the time they look great. It doesn't matter how old they are or how much they weight, none of them like it. I can see how uncomfortable just sitting in front of the camera makes them! It's crazy....

When I was in high school I thought I was ugly. I hated being in photos too. I always thought I was too fat. Looking back at those photos now I realize how RIDICULOUS that was because I looked fantastic (at least compared to me now) which ladies in kind of the point. No matter what you think you look like now, when reach your 50's & 60's you are going to think you looked pretty fantastic when you were in your 20's, 30's, & 40's.

The challenge....

TAKE YOUR SELF-PORTRAIT. You do NOT have to be a pro here ladies. This is just for fun! Wear a hat or sunglasses or whatever makes you feel better. It can be a close up or profile or full body, whatever! I am posting mine here. You may have to take 50 shots before you get one you want. Don't have a tripod? Just hold the camera at arms length, that's what I did. Setting in on a shelf and setting the self-timer works too. Avoid using the flash if you can so position yourself near a window or go outside!

Post Your "Self-Portrait Challenge" on your blog and then comment here with your permalink. Do it for yourself!

9 comments:

Shell said...

Much as I don't like being in pics, I do give the camera to others and have them take my pic with my boys because I don't want my boys to look back at all these pics and wonder: where was mom?

Lindsay said...

I was thinking about this the other day. I promise that once I get rid of the fifteen pounds I am hoping to lose that I will do this. And you can hold me to it. My husband is going to be out of town for 45 days so I am planning on hitting the diet hard once he is gone.

Danifred said...

Ugh, I HATE seeing myself in pictures. H.A.T.E. I may have to wait a few days for that self portrait though. Maybe I can get a facelift by then?!? :)

Teresa Hart said...

Wow, what a great idea! I will have to do this sometime too. Very cute photo BTW!

*Jess* said...

I can relate to a lot of what you said in this post! I may indeed have to take this challenge :)

Brandi said...

All talk no action...Come on ladies, Do it:)

Juno Mom said...

I noticed the same thing....my husband is even worse. We've been trying to "be" in more pictures but just like you said, there are more bad photos than good ones :)

just me, dawn said...

Brandi- all my weekly belly shots are self portraits....you should see just how many I take before I think both my face and my belly "work" ha-ha....I don't subject my hubby to it as he would be bored after two. next week, I will try a close up too and use it for a seperate self portrait post :)

Just ME the MOM said...

I love a good self portrait - I've seen so many creative and beautiful artsy types. Pondering . . . i really need to do one, I'll be thinking about it.

Kristin