Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Photography Story


I've had a camera near by since I was 14 years old. As a Christmas gift my Father gave me a Nikon 6006 which back in those days was a really, really nice piece of equipment for such a young girl. That year in school I took Photography 1 and caught the bug and caught it bad. I spent the next 3 years shooting photos for my High School Yearbook, everyday I could be seen with my camera. I used to have lunch alone in the darkroom while processing film and making prints. So, yeah that means I'm talking FILM! My Grandfather was a photographer in the Navy and my Father was a Photographer for the Police Department. He also ran a very successful Wedding Business for years. I had no appreciation for that at the time, but now I know he was working his rear off... Full-time job during the week, Weddings it seemed almost every weekend. He had this HUGE and HEAVY Mamiya 120mm with an equally heavy flash assembly on the top. At 16 I could barely lift it!

In college my camera stayed in the bag and collected dust. I went to a few Yearbook Meetings but for some reason I could never get up enough confidence to accept an assignment. Why? I have no idea. When college came to an end I accepted a Sales Job...I have no idea why...I guess because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I worked so hard and I worked all the time and I hated it. I can remember the day I fled that place on my lunch break and drove home in a rush to dig out of an old pile of papers the want adds from weeks before where I had found an add for a photographer. I called anyway and made a connection... To make a long story short I got the job and I couldn't believe it. So for the past 10 years I have been a Preschool Portrait Photographer. I've done it all but that is where I spend most of my time. It's fast, it's high volume, it's fun, it takes patients, and a unique skill set of business savvy and personality, not to mention you have to be pretty good with the 2 to 5 year old crowd. I think I've wiped a million noses and been sneezed on countless times! For years moms have asked if I do work on the side and for years I've said no, but now I'm in my 30's and I have no time to waste...I'm taking my future into my own hands and in the nick of time. The high-volume work almost made me lose my love of photography but it's back and stronger than ever!

I started my own business as some of you know and it's starting slow and steady. I'm so excited and so determined. Any mom out there who has a dream or a goal should go for it. Sometimes one adventure starts out pretty ordinarily and leads you down an alternate path that you never even knew was there...

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Great post! Your pictures are great! I too am trying to open my own business but it's a Blog Design business but I love the encouragement you give and take it to heart : ) I really want to do something that allows me to stay at home for as long as I want but still give me something to do that I also love.

I gave you an award over at my blog...Congrats!

Danifred said...

I really hope things take off for you and you find your own little piece of happiness in the world of photography!

Melissa Papaj Photography said...

Good luck Brandy! I am sure you will do awesome. Found you on SITS. I'm going to go check out your photo blog now :)

Theta Mom said...

Brandi, I love this post! I totally agree with your mom, you have to take chances in life and chase a dream. I posted about my childhood dream of becoming a Radio City Rockette. Although I never actually made it, the audition alone was enough for me becasue I gave my dream a chance.

Best of luck with the new business and keep chasing those dreams! I'll be chasing right there with ya. ;)

Have a wonderful New Year!