Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sticks & Stones

What was it my mother used to tell me..."Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me?" Really? I'm not so sure that old saying is so true. I happen to love words. I love how they are shaped: round, curvy, straight, sharp...and I love that when you put them together they form words that can make you happy, sad, mad, glad, frustrated, excited, confused, and every other emotion you can think of. Words can show fear, loss, sadness, anxiety. Words can also show, joy, elation, hope, and love...

I love words. I love that however I am feeling I am able to write it down and get it out of my body. My entire life this reputation has followed me that "I" am always the one who speaks up, that "I" don't take crap from anyone, that "I" always tell people how it is...meaning I am tough. I'm not tough, not in the way that people think. I fear confrontation. When confronted with an uncomfortable situation...I avoid...I find myself unable to speak my true feelings. If someone would just hand me a pen however I could write until the sun goes down.

Not everyone loves words...words are all I have to keep me sane. So write when you are sad, write when you are lost, write when you are happy. When you can't speak, write.

No comments: