Saturday, November 14, 2009

Hurt Feelings

There isn't much that hurts me worse as a mom then to see my son experience hurt feelings. He spent an evening with this sad look on his face and ended up having an hour long crying jag at bedtime that just about broke my heart. At playtime today with his neighborhood friends he experienced what it was like to never be picked. It was a game of school. The other 2 kids kept sharing the roll of teacher back and forth and never picking Blake to play the teacher roll. My Blake got frustrated at some point and pushed one of the kids and made them cry. Here's the thing...out of all the children I know my son is one of the most physical, most boisterous, most outgoing...but he is also the most sensitive as well. My Blake get's his feelings hurt way to easily and notices the way other kids treat him at an all to early age to be concerned about what others think of you. No one sees this emotionally fragile side of my baby, they just see his reaction of course. All he wants is to be included, to be wanted, to be friends...hmm, isn't that what we all want.

I try to teach him to always come to mom if he needs help, if he thinks he is being treated unfairly. Tonight as he lay in my arms crying (on the eve of his 5th Birthday Party) I tried to explain that we all have bad days and it's ok to feel sad. Tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: