Tuesday, November 3, 2009

5th Birthday Eve




5 Years ago tomorrow I gave birth to my first son. It was a long pregnancy but luckily healthy and uncomplicated. We moved into a new home 30 days before he was born. I had to sit on the front porch in a rocking chair and direct the movers on where each item should go. I tipped the scales at almost 200 lbs the week before he was born! Yes, I was huge. I worked up until my due date and then began my maternity leave. 7 days later I still hadn't gone into labor so I was scheduled for an induction. I was in labor for 14 hours and never made much progress. After laboring that long, when the doctor recommended a C-Section I was ready to meet my son. I cried and was fearful but it didn't take long after that. The first thing I heard when they pulled him out were gasps at how big he was, that and how he didn't look anything like me. They held him up over the blue sheet and I was shocked at how big he looked! I was like, "That was inside me?" They shouted out a few minutes later, 9 lbs, 7 oz! Whoa, that explained a lot. He was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

So tonight on the eve of his 5th Birthday I am baking cupcakes for him while he sleeps. I have to work tomorrow and his dad is out of town but I wanted him to know that it's his very special day. We have a big party scheduled for him in another week with all his friends and classmates and he is so excited about that!

Being a mom had changed my whole life and in so many different ways. I am still me but an entirely different person all at the same time. Being a mom is exciting, challenging, humbling, humiliating, exhausting, full-filling, all the good and all the bad all wrapped up together. I love both my sons and live for them.

No comments: